Sunday, August 9, 2015

see the Northern lights from the driveway

looking at the gardens of the bed and breakfast, one would never suspect that the weather is anything other than an acceptable temperature......



wrong!
I asked the owner of theB&B in Fairbanks where one would go to see the norntrn lights in the winter and she replied " you can see them from standing in the driveway"  The Northern lights are there all year, it's just not dark enough to see them in the summer. Anyway back to the cold ..40 below is one temperature I can relate to because I just happen to know that minus 40 farenheit is also minus 40 Celsius
 No I'm not some sort of nerd, the display on the map on the plane switches between metric and imperial measures and it's just something  I remembered .

Driving around you come across these on car parks.




Basically it's so raving cold that the cars have a heater installed which heats the sump and the block and stops the battery getting too cold
  Don't believe me??
Here's the plug that sticks out the front of the car


 On the way back I called in at Talkeetna again to see Stubbs, I bought an ice cream as an excuse. Even in the hot weather he was laid out snoozing infront of the hot vent from the chiller.




at least I didn't need much help from the Sat Nav, not too many directions... drive straight for 360 something miles before you make the next turn




No comments:

Post a Comment