Monday, August 3, 2015

Is there a doctor on board

Nuts
Now a 4 hour layover in Phoenix is just enough time to get fed up with the heat... 104 degree heat, that's 40C it's the sort of no relief heat that gets right inside you. It's true that it's a dryer heat but in my experience that only means you can stand another 10C before you go nuts.
   I have to confess I did a very childish thing. The TSA security at American airports can be an officious bunch to put it mildly, they have this knack of annoying you by their very existence. shouting, making up rules on the spot, more shouting "shoes off,no liquids, documents must be in your hand" that sort of thing.
Anyway a few years ago they introduced a machine that scans your clothes off, you stand in it and someone views the image to check you are "safe" to proceed. The machine must have been having an off day because I was sent back round for a second scan.... which is when the heat finally made me flip..... there was a problem with the images of my shoulder and "front" faced with a second pat down I removed my t shirt. The north Americans are a prudish nation and it seemed to come as a bit of a shock to them, there was a brief discussion about whether to give me the second pat down being as they had seen the evidence so I was given a cursory pat and let go on my way. Don't try this at home is my advice I could easily have seen the inside of a phoenix police cell but I did feel a little better for ithe.

oh yes the flight. about half an hour out of Phoenix an elderly lady was having problems breathing so a call was put out for a doctor it made me chuckle a bit because Vlad the cat used to have a BA card in the name of Dr Vladimir Walker. The crew are never alone up there with a medical problem, there is a service they. all who make all the treatment and other decisions, after an hour or so of to and fro ing the lady wasn't getting any better and a diversion to Seattle was decided upon.
 I was quite surprised that the lady and her family were left in the care of the medical services, the plane refuelled, the oxygen restocked, the pilot managed to acquire himself a coffee and a guide dog  was allowed off  for a pee, all within an hour or so and we all buckled back in for  4 more hours flying which  left us arriving in Anchorage at 3.15 . it was midday UK time so I wasn't in as  bad shape as some .
 With 3 hours to wait for the car hire to open again, I selected a spot between 2 sculptures and dug the sleeping bag out to hunker down.

Zoom error
My camera is not a happy gadget at the moment hopefully I can sort it out when I get a moments peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment