Monday, August 3, 2015

No room at the inn


... Eventually I got the hire car and headed for the hotel which wasn't far from the airport, for a state that I covers so much landmass most of Anchorage is only a small area.
Anchorage isn't even  the state capital of Alaska, that's  place called Juneau which is squished in a strip of Alaska that runs next to Canada.
  The car, well it's a bit small for sleeping in but I will survive, nearly a case of have to as when I turned up at the hotel at 7am to check in for the previous night, they had sold my room to someone else, apparently because I didn't check in by 6pm. Since I paid in full to expedia not them they decided to earn themselves  a double rent for the room overnight.
 Small strop needed, I told them "You're not my parents, I don't have to be in for 6pm" but apparently it's company policy.... funny that it's not  company policy at the same hotel brand in Mt Laurel...... room reinstated, long shower and off to find something pretty to look at to get in the holiday mood.




OK it's a little hazy in the morning sun..
     
     which brings me to my next point
Most of the people I told where I was going were suppressed that I was going to such a cold place. Well, Alaska has summers the same as  most other places, it's just that the summers are short and have long hours of daylight... jumbo vegetable conditions... who knew?. OK it doesn't reach the 40C of Phoenix but theres no denying that  it gets to a respectable summer climate.

myth busted!! that's 24C


The temperature rising, I headed off to visit the other airport in anchorage. Not that there's much wrong with the main one, it's large and bright and calm, kind of the "if Carlsberg made airports" of international travel.
  The other airport is the seaplane Base and general aviation hub, lots of small planes needed to get to places out in the wilds that have no roads so there are plenty of small aircraft to go round..

Lake Hood Seaplane Base.....











time for a sleep
cxx

No comments:

Post a Comment