Monday, April 21, 2014

The perils of Long haul alcohol

Seats chosen, meals chosen (nice touch AA)  Gogo passes purchased in the hope that the wifi is working inflight,
 I only drink alcohol above 10,000ft so its a few days of boozing for me! trouble is the combination of airline food and alcohol usually ends up giving me heartburn, but I persist in trying to find the perfect ratio. The motion of the plane disguises the extent of your intoxication until you need to reconnect your feet with the floor. More than once I have been grateful that there is a handrail on the stairwell on the U/D of a 747 as I wobble my way down the back trying to look like I have some control of my limbs. I should have learned by now that when it comes to alcohol I am a bit of a lightweight.
Sticking to coffee is probably the order of day, coffee is unique in that when offered it you can say "of course I need coffee, I'm a teacher" and get double servings . Imagine saying "of course I need alcohol I am a banker" and getting double issue, actually the teacher thing would probably work with alcohol, valium, ice cream, chocolate....
I shared the front row of VS PE with a fellow teacher a few years ago, like me, she had shoved her school planner in her bag and bolted for the airport on a Friday night. Teachers are a cooperative bunch, one gets up to use the facilities and the other one goes as well so as not to cause disturbance later on. We taught similar subjects so the chat was partly about that: Up until the after dinner drinks which is when I discovered that the "teacher" thing does work with alcohol, especially since VS served Baileys from the bottle,and a long flight time remaining. Eventually I had to concede defeat as I knew not feeling your teeth isnt a good sign!. She caught a taxi to meet her husband and I spent a reasonable night sleeping on the floor at EWR for a 5 am flight no doubt assisted by the volume of Baileys.

Socks and Sandals
Yes,I know you dont wear socks and sandals, I have traumatic memories of my father wearing his shorts, handknitted woollen socks and his sandals when I was s child. The sole exception to this is when you have a new pair you need to break in quickly then you  wear them around the house, sandals (well trainer sandals) are now fine and comfortable and ready for my days yomping around Hawaii on the tours I booked.
The tours are all by one company called Oahu Nature tours, there is a trip round the North shore one day, a hike to a waterfall and a trip round the island, Pineapple plantation, Macadamia nut plantation , loads to see. Up until I found the tours I was resigned to Hawaii being like some other parts of the US, all hype, I have watched Dog the Bounty hunter, I know how it looks, I am not expecting it to be like the Elvis in Hawaii films but it seems it might be something to look forward to.....


No comments:

Post a Comment