Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Lager and the world's most comfortable bed

 Everything set, drove to Heathrow terminal 1 car park, only to find that the parking company we have used for years and found really reliable have decided that I should be met at terminal 5, despite me calling them the day before to confirm T1 on the outbound and T5 on the inbound.
Hmm Dunc would have known where to go, drive to T5 and take the HEx back easy, unless you have never driven through T1-3 before, anyway a few passes of the tunnel and all was solved apart from lugging the stupid case to T1 I knew that checked bag was going to be trouble.

T1 isnt much to shout about, a confusing mass of humanity like a scene from War of the worlds, The International lounge seems out of all proportion to the rest of the facilities,  many tunnels later I was on board and settled down.
 Afternoon tea of 3 finger sandwiches, a scone with cream and jam and a solid looking thing which was labelled as a chocolate and orange cake-Dont BA know I hate chocolate and fruit? apparently not.
Settled on lager as the wimp version  of alcohol.........
A few tears on takeoff as I was not sharing the trip with Dunc but ,who knew, BA have their own brand of tissues for just such an occasion.

LUX airport is clean, calm, short walking distances, on the way out I passed 3 customs officers giving peoples bags the full check, for an airport this quiet I suppose they need to take advantage of pax passing through before the long wait for another flight!

The reasoning behind doing the LHR-LUX leg a day earlier was that a same day turnround would have involved leaving LHR at some ungodly hour in the morning, having slept in a hotel the night before. This way I am still sleeping in a hotel but in LUX in mainland Europe where the hotel prices are cheap and the rooms are small.
The Ibis isnt glamorous, the room looked like the unfinished bedroom set up from an Ikea store, the one thing it does have though is the most comfortable bed in the world, laid down for a rest and SPLAT I was run over by the sleepy truck, opened my eyes briefly to see it was dark and back to sleep until 6.30am (5.30 am UK time) well thats all the good intentions about working on the laptop and watching Eastenders gone.

Its not until I looked up the time in Hawaii that I realised how far it actually is I know for every 1 degree you go west the time is 4 mins earlier but crikey, Hawaii is 12 hours behind here, thats not a minor inconvenience or a bit of jet lag thats major time shift. I can stay up til 3 am without much effort so that means I will be running out of steam at 3pm there. Lisa's house is still 7 hours ahead of Hawaii !! At least she isnt going to think I am a party pooper this time.



No comments:

Post a Comment