Thursday, October 2, 2014

Poorly- Again

Thats what the email said
"I am sorry you are poorly again"
 for the second time in 3 weeks I have been struck down with a virus, last time it was a human parvovirus/viral arthritis thing that made all my joints so sore and stiff I couldnt lift a kettle of water. This time its tonsilitis.......The Doctor said years ago that they wouldnt remove them from an adult and eventually the episodes subsided. Now with a fresh onslaught of 1200 students and their associated germs I have to re live the whole rigmarole.:
 Insist on a Drs appointment, arrive at appointed time, Dr peers down throat, Dr says Oh, yes tonsilitis, Antibiotics, 3 days , pain starts receeding




I genuinely feel like I have let my new boss down, she must think I am a right wimp and I so wanted to please her and have her think I was a useful member of the department, now I am the member of the department that keeps getting stupid viruses .
I tried to do fabulous cover lesson powerpoints to make up for it but still feel like a walking disaster even though no one will be pleased to see me if I am still snuffly and groany .

Its not much fun being ill on your own either, no one to dispense sympathy and hot drinks, no one to talk to: it wasnt until I got a phone call from the solicitor that I realised I couldnt speak, luckily she speaks fluent Essex like me and I managed to make myself understood.

For some reason Dunc had a stash of packets of tissues that would have been enough for an outbreak of Ebola, and I am still working my way through them now, it reminds me of Dennis, 10 years after nanna died he still had paper bags in his drawer, each containing a pair of handknitted socks that she had made for him .

Actually, that reminds me, at Duncan's funeral we asked for donations for Medecins sans frontieres because we felt strongly that global emergency health was important, at the time, people were asking why? and although they had heard of them they werent all that aware of their work, now of course everyone has heard of their work in West Africa so if you gave a donation at the time, thank you you have already made a difference on a global scale.

http://www.msf.org.uk/


Modern Game




My latest girlies are Modern Game Bantams, beautiful statuesque birds, with long legs, they wouldnt look out of place lining up to run the 200m hurdles. They have a kind of freaky prehistoric look- a bit like the Grace Jones of the bantam world.




They are still settling in, spending their days watching how the chickens, the human and the cats interact so they know how life is in the garden, very friendly, they were eating out of my hand on day one and didnt freak at the sight of the cat walking down the garden to see me.
  The cat isnt stupid, she knows that small bantams have big friends... Vulture hates cats, chases them off and kicks them, off she runs with her sidekick Conchita in tow and the cat runs for cover.
Amy scares them a bit more, she is ditzy, and jumps a lot, tabby like a tiger but think that with 2 Brahmas, Vulture and a cockerel to look out for them, the bantams arent in any danger.

Getting nearer to my plans for a conservatory full of plants,
The neighbour complained about the chickens walking on the wall and the patio so Quick as a flash I said "I'll get a fence put up" I think she had second thoughts she realised she couldnt peer over the wall and moan any more. In reality, we always intended to put a fence there, and here, at last, the chance to put one up and not have any bad feeling from the other side. The garden is nice and secluded now and for the first time I have been able to open all the blinds in the conservatory, it looks brilliant, add a few plants and............TA DA



Eric the weeping fig belongs to Al but hasnt made it up to Hatfield yet, my Sony mobile phone and the TV from my bedroom seem to have made it to uni ok though!

No comments:

Post a Comment