Saturday, October 25, 2014

Coffee maker on timed brew

Up and awake at midnight is a boring thing to be
The house is quiet and as its a bed and breakfast, everyone else is asleep , the house is dark and the coffee maker is on "timed brew" which could be anytime!

Still suffering in 31C heat I decided today was the day to drive up the volcano, I had been warned to take warm clothes, thinking they must all be wimps cold at a 10 degree drop in temperature, I took a jumper along  just in case . One of the other guests warned me about the road being hard as well.

The weather wasnt the most cheerful during the drive up, but the road was fine, lots of switchbacks but at constant radius and with rails so you couldnt drive over the edge,

The trouble with scenic photos is that you can never capture the "bigness" of a place or the sheer height of a view


it started raining near the top and I got out at the summit to be greeted by the  view below


yup, just clouds.........they werent kidding about the temperature either, from 90F at sea level to 45F on the summit, harsh winds blowing stinging rain and I did need the jumper after all.

I toddled onto a beach and it was noticable that in cropped trousers and a t shirt I was way overdressed, I dont do beaches , I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have been on a beach and done anything other than walk along the shore, in the last 30 years I have sat on a beach and laid in the sun precisely twice. Time to make it 3 times? well an hour and a couple of dips in the sea and I had enough anyway, although I wont leave it another 10 years to return.




Sugar

I can be a fussy person about food sometimes, I dont buy products of the Cocoa Cola company, I only buy British sugar, beet sugar, I want to support British farmers. Silver Spoon is the British brand in case you are interested!
Anyway, on Maui there are fields and fields of sugar cane


when it is tall and ready to be harvested it is cut and the stems are chopped up and crushed in this untidy looking place


The chimneys from boiling and refining the sugar were both being used and the smell- recognisable but nothing like the smell that hangs over Busy St Edmunds for weeks at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment