Saturday, October 18, 2014

Two "somethings" in the way


Its that time of year when a girl's thoughts turn to...........central heating, ours seems to have been put in following a route like a pile of spaghetti, some of the radiators downstairs are fed from upstairs, the pump isnt man enough for the job and its all a bit confusing. The plumber never turned up after I texted him months ago so its time to batten down the hatches and get ready for chilly days.
    Grannies seem to have managed with an open fire and a few draught excluders so I am going to pretend I am in the 1900s and huddle up.
Cats are a fairly cheap way of heating, if you could only get them both to sit on your lap at the same time, less that £1 a day to feed and the sort of soft furry warmth that wraps itself tighter round you  when the temperature drops, they dont go cold in the night like a hot water bottle either. A combination of solar heating and cats would be the most energy efficient, the chickens might have to contribute as well, I could build them a treadmill in the garden !



Busy busy at work. There always seems loads to do on top of the teaching, the trouble is that with 2 of us sharing a full time timetable, my days seem to be the ones with all the full teaching days and the days I dont work seem to be the ones with all the non contact time! I did have a token whinge at the start of term but I am stuck with it. Luckily I can now access the school drives from home so I can catch up with the work on my days off.
   As time goes on and the pace of work becomes more frantic, I have something nice to look forward to at half term.................yes, another trip, Maui this time, a few days R&R in summertime weather to cheer me up, That is if I get there, no I havent booked any flights on US airways, there is something more ominous on the horizon.


Actually its 2 "somethings"





See those little islands under the coloured bit?    thats Hawaii


I dont scare easily, as you know, but this combination doesnt look like its going to be a smooth journey. The remains of Gonzalo will be over the North Atlantic which will just make for a bumpy 8 hour ride and the remains of Hurricane Ana will make the end of the flight to Maui a bit of a rollercoaster. I am sure that the experience of getting caught up with an Atlantic and a Pacific hurricane within the space of about 12 hours is going to be an interesting one.......but its the price you pay, you fly silly places, you get caught up with silly weather!  The Haboob over Phoenix on the way to Alaska springs to mind, not flying anywhere near Phoenix this time but thats not a guarantee that I won't end up there.

At this point, all I can say is "this is the routing I booked"




How straightforward  is that?  not like me at all
Actually the prices werent as good from Brussels this time and the only other possibility would have been via Copenhagen and Helsinki, lots of European short haul flights at 40 TPs a time isnt time well spent for me, not with the potential for losing wheels on yet another case!




On the subject of "not like me" I have booked the whole stay in one place, very nice it looks too, and hired a car to toddle about. The Sat nav doesnt have Hawaii on it but I cant get that lost on an island with only a few major roads.

Well, I probably can get lost knowing me!




2 comments:

  1. Best of luck with your trip, Maui sounds amazing! I'll keep my fingers crossed everything goes well and you get there safely x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenni, I'll be keeping everyone informed on here, if I dont post for 24 hours thats a good thing because I will be flying!!

    ReplyDelete