Friday, August 8, 2014

Finger Problem

I once heard a pilot of a Fed-Ex plane tell ATC that the reason for his go around was a "finger problem"
Finger problem is apparently pilot-speak for "made a mistake" Thats the excuse I'm using for this latest adventure! Not a mistake but wandering fingers on the keyboard.

Al and I are going to take in a few days in Halifax, Nova Scotia and on to see Lisa, we had talked bout Halifax when Dunc was here but never got round to it so a sale fare seems to be an ideal reason to go.



You knew it wouldn't be a simple trip right?

Brussels, obviously, if we didn't save the fare by flying from BRU then we would have to fly WT+, the last time I suggested that to Al, he gave me a look like I had hurt him- lets see how he does when he has to buy his own flights!

Anyway the overnight at BRU is followed by LHR-YYZ thats Toronto, and then on to Halifax. I am immensely fond of Canada, everyone actually seems pleased that you made the journey, the Immigration isnt as harsh and you could stay for 6 months at a time if you wanted to. Maybe we will take a side trip while we are at Lisa's ...........something stands in the way though


2 hurricanes heading for Hawaii, the first to make landfall since the 1980s so thats a trip to Hawaii out of the question, shame I think Al would like it there.

I have been "hurricaned" before, Hurricane sandy in 2012, I knew it was coming before I left for the US, I asked Dunc "will Jeffs house blow down?" having been reassured that it wouldnt I continued my trip.
  High winds that would be called "very windy" over here are far more damaging in the US, our houses are mostly brick, tiled roofs, not many trees in the streets but over there, with wooden houses, light felt tile roofs and everyone living the dream surrounded by loads of trees in their yards, its a whole different matter, our coast tends to wiggle in and out in small stretches whereas theirs goes on for miles and miles with no break, making them more vulnerable to storms and hurricanes.
 Lis had done the preparation before I arrived, stockpiling food and a gallon of water per person per day, as the storm picked up, the trees bent over in the yard, the electricity went off but was back on after 45 mins, and I fell asleep in the recliner chair.
Later on as the wind picked up, Lis woke me up to make sure I got to use the loo before the electricity went off again. We spent the evening watching the weather channel as the reports got more and more serious, the Govenor of NJ on the TV telling people to leave the coast areas and evacuate,  the Govenors of PA and DE giving warnings to their states populus. The hurricane made landfall and tore through the state leaving beaches washed away, boardwalks destroyed and further up wreaking havoc and damage to the North.




If you look at the map you can see that Hurricane Sandy, the second most damaging in US history was a direct hit in line with Lisa's house.

Such a direct hit that there was very little damage at all in the immediate area, a few miles either side and there was destruction, trees down and railway lines flooded and affected but in the little area surrounding Atco there was not that much to show.

On top of that there are the remains of hurricane Bertha crossing the Atlantic in time for our transatlantic flight to Toronto on the 10th



Going to be a fun trip by the looks of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment