Monday, July 7, 2014

End of the road



The Bed and Breakfast house in Kenai is lovely, decorated in the wood and country style that I am trying to get together for my living room, my quilt with the reindeer on it would fit right in here, Lisa would love it, and it would cause huge arguments with Dunc because he would have seen so many good ideas and wanted to try them out at home, but would never have had the time.
The mosquitos seem very fond of my new trousers, I am too but I don’t get the urge to suck them! I cant think what took me so long to realise the old ones were past their best, Duncan always said he liked them and it was that which stopped me throwing them out a couple of years ago, anyway paddling about in a river after blue stones for Lisa has solved the issue for me.

I went for a walk in search of some of the wild blue Lupins which grow here and was followed by my cloud of mozzies, all wanting to come for a walk as well, like the chickens follow me up the garden, the mozzies followed me down the lane. They did get their way though, they found the only area of my body not covered in DEET- my hands, that’s just rude, unsporting, who gets mosquito bites on their hands? And this morning was the first morning I woke up not itchy. More blue flowers in Alaska than I have seen anywhere before, with occasional pink, it’s a colourscheme ready to go.




I am reluctant to leave, the house is great, the dogs are friendly, the sofa is comfortable, and Tina cooked a great breakfast but I had to get going on to Seward



I havent talked about the rivers have I?
here are some shots of Russian river and Kenai lake--some of them look like they are straight out of "Deliverance"






Ridiculous Red car

The stupid red car and I are becoming better friends, the speed limits in Alaska are fairly low, 25-55 and people seem to stick to them. The tiny engine reined in by the automatic gearbox doesnt show me up most of the time, its slow to accelerate but easy to park and manoevre, it has 4 doors, its easy to find in car parks (due to being about the colour and size of a ladybird) so its endearing itself to me.

On the way to Seward is Exit glacier, you can hike up the hill to the top but I took the 1.3 mile trail to the glacier viewing area instead.








On to Seward, the harbour is used for tours and fishing, by fishing I mean everything from little 2 man boats to the great big ships you see on Deadliest Catch, some of them are based there during the season.
 Seward  is the end of the road as far as the Alaskan road system goes, there are small dirt roads but nothing surfaced, car rental conditions usually state no going on unpaved roads in Alaska but I am going to take a little tour on one, only a problem if I fall off the edge!










The hotel says it is on the national register of historic places, for that read old fashioned, shared bathroom, small room hotel in need of painting, its not too bad sleep and a wash is all I need in a hotel.This one does have a rustic charm though.

No comments:

Post a Comment