Sunday, July 6, 2014

The German heavy water plant in Norway



The final flight of the trip, PHX-ANC much delayed, I have had 3 boarding passes for this flight and finally I am actually on it!
The nice marine biologist going to St Paul Island that has been on the same flights since Philly had the window seat and it seemed a bit rude to keep leaning over him but there are a couple of shots, Wanita, who I sat beside from Philly and shared a room with last night at the hotel In Tucson pointed out a few times for things to see but I was too busy trying to get comfortable for most of the flight!
Only problem is its an Airbus 321, one of the most uncomfortable planes known to man, Agony doesn’t even come close, a bit disconcerting landing at 11pm and it still being light.





 One major drawback is that the Sat Nav hasn’t heard of Alaska, its an American one so I think it’s a bit rude not to include Alaska, its not like the maps are from 1959 when Alaska wasn’t part of the US. The hotel booked on the inflight wifi looks like a dump, a dump with nice views.
Good breakfast considering the hotel looked like it wasn’t going to be a success, the room was massive, with a huge view of the mountains, I would fit in in Alaska, I have no problem sleeping in the day or night and it wasn’t a huge deal getting to sleep with daylight outside.

Midnight at the hotel 

Pretty much everywhere you drive outside of town is scenic, lakes, mountains and plenty of places to stop to gawp at the view,
Sit back and look at some of the photos from along the route…….

Lake Hood seaplane base







Beluga point

The water is all muddy because of the rough sea and glacier run off







There was a gold panning demonstration at Crow Creek mine, I think you are supposed to pay for the dirt with gold in to practice on, then take shovels and pans up to the creek to pan for gold, no one up at the creek seemed to be finding any but it was a nice walk and some interesting buildings from the gold mining days.














One of the advantages of being on your own is that you can quietly tag onto a group watching a demo and no one asks if you should be there, wander up to the creek with everyone else and never get asked for your ticket!




Alyeska is a resort hotel but parts of it are open to the public too, like the tram ride (actually it’s a cable car) up the mountain . Some hardy souls hike up and back but by the time I had done that I would have been too breathless to enjoy the view!.









During the winter this slope is covered in snow which slowly slips down, it bends the tree trunks with its sliding down the mountain.

 They use artillery to trigger avalanches which prevents too many happening by themselves, the streaks down the mountains with no trees is where there has been an avalanche in the past.


Nice up there, I would have been there on my own anyway since nothing on earth would have got Dunc in a cable car, we went on an incline railway in Pittsburgh once and his knuckles were white by the time we reached the bottom, Alistair and I enjoyed the ride but then we don’t have a problem with heights!


As the cable car came back up it reminded me of an old film known in our house as “The german heavy water plant in Norway” I think the real title is something like Where Eagles dare, but no one can ever remember, I mentioned this to a couple of older blokes figuring that being American they would have a better idea of the film, Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton are in it . he had no idea but knew the film as well as I did . I guess that was back in the day when film titles weren’t chosen for their memorability. I am pretty sure it’s a colour film but since most of the action takes place at night on a snowy landscape, it could be black and white and I haven’t remembered properly!

No comments:

Post a Comment