Monday, June 23, 2014

King of Spain


The nice weather all week has kept me in the garden most of the week, apart from the days when I am just plain tired the whole day, like today.
 I started with good intentions, ran out of wood for the new borders and decided to investigate the shed...........bad move.
The shed is the only place where I actually feel cross at Duncan for leaving me with it, When we moved in the shed was split into 3 rooms, insulated, plasterboarded, and set up to use as a kind of summer house. For some reason Duncan set about ripping out the plasterboard, the partitions and the ceilings, none of the stuff he ripped out actually left the shed but was just piled and throw all over. Add to that the not sorted contents of his workshop and the fact that the floor is covered in large lumps of concrete and bricks and it makes a pretty lethal combination when you want to find something.
An entire car load of insulation to the tip and it doesnt look any emptier but my arms and legs are itching from all the fibres. Time for a skip.


The school prom was friday, good to see the class dressed up in their finest, they look like adults yet behave like children. After we dropped Jane off Al and I had to brave the hoardes at Avebury to get home, loads of people grubby from lack of access to hot water and soap, there was some fire batontwirling I could see from the road and heard the drumming, its the only time I can listen to drumming all night, its kind of hypnotic.

We arrived home and went to sort out the birds, I heard this peeping noise, shone the torch and there was a tiny face looking at me ! 2 out of the 6 eggs hatched and there were 2 tiny chicks.


  Vulture has been great, she is sitting with her wings up for them to hide under. Chicks dont need to eat for the first day so Al got chick crumb this afternoon, rather than have them drown in the water I made the chick crumb into porridge for them, stood them on it and very gently Vulture showed them how to peck at the food, she used a different ack ack ack noise to tell them to watch her pecking, The chicks got the hang of it after a couple of minutes, it was fascinating watching her teach them how to peck . 2 out of 6 hatched under a hen is the same rate as Carl got in an incubator, not a good year for breeding Sebrights.

Another meeting at school to sort out some of the details, mainly administrative, I am a bit worried still but I can always leave if it doesnt suit me, I have loads of new ideas and schemes of work I have been working on  when I still thought I was going to go back to my original job, but I will keep them in reserve for a rainy day .


Oh and this is Felipe, he and Catalina arrived with Sarah and Daisy last Thursday, he was going to be Antonio but as it was the day the new king of Spain was inaugurated we decided on Felipe. He's been fairly quiet mainly due to me popping him in a small coop to muffle him in the morning but he has treated me to the full "cock a doodle doo" a couple of times, I like it but I dont think next door are very happy, hopefully rehoming some of the larger girls will stop her complaining. She thinks I have 10 chickens, Luckily for me she cant count, when the 3 hybrids go there will be 10  left!

All these years I thought I was destined to be a crazy cat lady and it turns out it could be chickens instead..

No comments:

Post a Comment