Monday, June 9, 2014

Just one more, it's only wafer thin





Actually its just one more trip because prices are stupid low this summer and its another once in a lifetime, bucket list type of trip. Alaska.

I have told a few people and I seem to be getting the same reaction as when we flew from Toronto to Pittsburg ie WHY?

Well, firstly we flew from Toronto to Pittsburgh to visit the Andy Warhol museum on the way to Philly in 2005, it didnt seem like a bad detour at the time until we discovered we were flying on a Dash 8-   think school minibus and you will be pretty close, 5 seats along the back of the bus and you could hear the luggage banging as it was being loaded behind the plywood panel, one stewardess and oh yes, its a prop. Alistair reminded me the other day looking at the size difference between the Brahmas and Conchita the bantam, he said "do you remember that time at Toronto airport, thats what the bantam looks like next to Blossom" 



Looks cute doesnt it? thats if you arent on it, I have the feeling that Dunc was a good deal more nervous than he let on !




The Warhol museum was actually worth the detour to see the pictures for real and close up.
We saw some brilliant images from Warhols earlier works which I prefer to the screen printed ones.
Blotted line printing is just drawing what you want to print onto a shiny surface and rubbing a piece of paper over it, thats how he made the copies of his work in the early days.
The pink Sam the cat that I own was done by this method and all his friends used to sit filling in the paint whilst partying at the Factory.

I have no doubts that the print I have is genuine, because of the type of paper, the other images of the sort and the fact that I have never seen another pink one like it mean it could have been a mistake colouring it and thats how it ended up as a single sheet. However I have no provenance with it and I dont want to submit it to the foundation because they destroy the ones they dont approve.

Oh yes, I forgot...Alaska....what does anyone know about Alaska?



This obviously 

And this one
















Her..........















These of course
















And plenty more which I will no doubt see during the trip

This trip is all on US airways,  I will still get all my miles and points, it doesnt have the best reputation and I dont have the best experience of it but how bad can it be?
The routing is BRU-PHL-PHX-ANC    ANC-PHX-PHL-BRU  Obviously starting from Brussels to get the cheaper fare (saving about 2 grand) and this time flying direct to Philadelphia instead of a connection in Heathrow. I have done a couple of trips where I have "bailed out" at Heathrow on the way back and this is going to get me in trouble with the airline if I do it much more (Ie they will charge me the fare to London instead) so a direct flight to Brussels means I cant skip the last leg because I am hit with apathy in London. I lose points but better to lose a "few" points than have the airline after me for a "few"grand!



Yet again I have a trip that is hard to pack for, the last time I was in Phoenix the temperature was 114F that's 46 C do you think it will be that temperature in Alaska? I think not

No comments:

Post a Comment